[rancid] Adding more commands during Rancid / Development

Alan McKinnon alan.mckinnon at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 14:34:15 UTC 2013

On 17/09/2013 13:00, Jason Biel wrote:
> While I understand the basics of adding additional commands to RANCID,
> what is the ideal way to be testing new commands as I am debugging
> them?  Are most people running a dev RANCID install for testing?

Most definitely :-)

In any kind of real-life scenario, your rancid data in configs/
naturally evolves into a very critical data source. Almost nothing else
out there is capable of documenting real life systems to the extent
rancid can. This is great for your ego, but also means you can't fiddle
with it so much.

I keep 2 dev installs for different purposes and follow the classic
dev/test/debug/deploy strategy.

There's a second reason why this is a good idea - it is very common for
sysadmins to maintain their own little patchset to customize rancid
behaviour (mostly to account for quirks between device models) and then
repatch new releases if your tweaks didn't make it into the codebase. A
dev setup makes this process so much easier.

Alan McKinnon
alan.mckinnon at gmail.com