[rancid] Explain email error

Ryan Milton rmilton at mvsusa.com
Sun Sep 29 02:27:16 UTC 2013

I will be answering a couple of things here:

I don't have a .bash_profile only a .profile which I changed:

# set PATH so it includes user's private bin if it exists
if [ -d "$HOME/bin" ] ; then
    PATH="$HOME/bin:$PATH"

# set PATH so it includes user's private bin if it exists
if [ -d "$HOME/bin" ] ; then
    PATH=/usr/lib/rancid/bin:$PATH

Which doesn't seem to change what happens.

To Alan, the name is fake, because all our equipment has public IP
addresses! In fact
I named everything: IPADDRESS:hp:up or some variation, but all are IP
Addresses, no names.

Alan,
Locate .cloginrc yields:

/home/rancid/.cloginrc
/home/ryan/.cloginrc
/var/lib/rancid/.cloginrc

But they can't seem to be removed (?) They show up in the search, but when
I try to remove: "No such file".

Rancid-fe, I only added the paloalto line:

root at ObserviumNYC:/usr/lib/rancid/bin# sudo vi rancid-fe

    'hp'                => 'hrancid',
    'juniper'           => 'jrancid',
    'mrtd'              => 'mrancid',
    'mrv'               => 'mrvrancid',
    'netopia'           => 'trancid',
    'netscaler'         => 'nsrancid',
    'netscreen'         => 'nrancid',
    'procket'           => 'prancid',
    'paloalto'          => 'panrancid',
    'redback'           => 'rrancid',
    'riverstone'        => 'rivrancid',
    'smc'               => 'srancid',
    'tnt'               => 'tntrancid',
    'zebra'             => 'zrancid'
);

I followed the install instructions from:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RANCID#Introduction

http://www.binaryroyale.com/index.php/category/umbungo/

OK ALAN! I'M IN. With all the headache that this has caused, I'm not going
to stop now. I have been interested in a clean install, but I wouldn't
know where to begin.

Easiest thing is to use the rancid user, R at nc1d pass. @94.229.11.72

I can do it now---but it is late, or at a scheduled time.

Ryan

I appreciate sticking with me on this, I WILL read those books!