[rancid] Ubuntu Linux collection / llogin & lrancid

Tom Harbert tomh at campaignmonitor.com
Tue Apr 29 00:58:48 UTC 2014

Hello,

Has anyone had any success configuring RANCID to collect configuration
files from an Ubuntu Linux server?  I have a couple configured with BIRD
and acting as routers.  I want to incorporate them into the existing
configuration management solution to backup and monitor items such as:

- /etc/network/interfaces
- /etc/bird/bird.conf
- /etc/shorewall/*

I have read the following posts about llogin and lrancid and hacked the
scripts as best I could.  I can get llogin to connect and auth however I
believe I am still getting a timeout error due to the prompt.

http://www.shrubbery.net/pipermail/rancid-discuss/2009-July/004036.html
http://www.shrubbery.net/pipermail/rancid-discuss/2010-October/005315.html
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rancid-discuss/UvBkEHG18JM

host.domain llogin error: Error: TIMEOUT reached

I was hoping to be able to just change the prompt to "$ " however no dice.
 If anyone has any experience or an alternative way of a accomplishing this
please let me know.  I thought I might explore just a cron job which scp's
the relevant files and does a diff however it would be cleaner to have it
all integrated into RANCID.

Thanks!