[rancid] Rancid and Git

Crowe, David crowed at bendbroadband.net
Tue Apr 29 20:07:26 UTC 2014

On Apr 29, 2014, at 7:39 AM, heasley <heas at shrubbery.net> wrote:

> Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 08:32:47PM +0000, Brown, David M JR:
>> To whom it may concern,
>>
>> Apparently this has been brought up a bunch of times.
>>
>> Original Git Patch...
>> http://www.shrubbery.net/pipermail/rancid-discuss/2007-March/002152.html
>>
>> Another mention of the git patch...
>> http://www.shrubbery.net/pipermail/rancid-discuss/2008-December/003529.html
>>
>> More poking about git...
>> http://www.shrubbery.net/pipermail/rancid-discuss/2010-April/004865.html
>>
>> And yet even more poking around git...
>> http://www.shrubbery.net/pipermail/rancid-discuss/2013-May/006830.html
>>
>> The final mention of git support in rancid talks about a rancid fork (essentially) rancid-git whose sole purpose is to support git in rancid https://github.com/dotwaffle/rancid-git.
>>
>> So, I'd really like to know the answer as to why Git isn't supported in Rancid yet? Most of the patches seem okay and discussion about them seems to have just stopped. The discussion has no mention of whether the patch was going to be supported or not.
>
> to support it, i have to test it and havent had time.  what does git provide
> over svn?  afaict, there is only one feature, which does not apply to rancid.

what one feature do you mean? git is an easy integration into rancid and gives us useful options when we're trying to manage the repository backend as the OP noted in his later response.  we've been carrying around a git patchset for rancid for years that has been relatively easy to port to each version.  however, i would greatly appreciate integration upstream.  it works very well and is feature comparable to the svn implementation.

enjoy,

David