[rancid] prefix-list random order bug

Alan McKinnon alan.mckinnon at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 11:33:09 UTC 2014

On 15/12/2014 21:08, Christopher J. Umina wrote:
> Sorry, I should have clarified,
>
> I'm using the 100% default rancid.conf (except LIST_OF_GROUPS, of
> course), so ACLSORT is disabled.
>
>     # uname -a
>     FreeBSD test.box 10.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE #0 r274401: Tue
>     Nov 11 21:02:49 UTC 2014
>     root at releng1.nyi.freebsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
>     # pkg info perl\* rancid\*
>     perl5-5.18.4_10
>     rancid3-3.1_1
>

> This issue didn't occur until I upgraded to FreeBSD 10.1 and all
> packages were upgraded.  Not sure what the original version of Perl was,
> but I have a feeling that's what broke things.

You might be right. Somewhere around perl 5.14 or 5.16 the
implementation of associative arrays (hashes) was changed. The order of
keys for a given hash were randomly distributed but consistent from one
run to the next. The change made keys always come out in a random order.
I had to fix a few in-house apps at the time.

It's possible your version of rancid relies on the old behaviour. I
don't have a working install handy to investigate, but thought it worth
mentioning.