[rancid] Scripting clogin with ash and username/password

Andrew Ohnstad andrew.ohnstad at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 08:02:57 UTC 2014

I'm not sure if I'm asking more of the tool than what's possible, or if I'm
just missing the secret sauce.

I've got rancid set up and working for archiving configs. I'm now trying to
use clogin as part of a bash shell script to push configuration changes to
a bunch of devices. The catch is that the devices are a) only reachable
through ssh, and b) clogin must use a username and password provided as
command line arguments and NOT any credentials stored in a .cloginrc file.
This is a requirement so that the user pushing the updates can be logged.

Is there a set of arguments to clogin that will tell it to ignore the
username and password? I can get it to pass the specified username with the
-u command, but by running with debugging turned on, I saw that it was
still using the password in the .cloginrc file for all the logins. It seems
to ignore every password related command line argument.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.