[rancid] clogin error

Alan McKinnon alan.mckinnon at gmail.com
Mon Jan 6 22:24:15 UTC 2014

On 06/01/2014 23:08, Jason Dotray wrote:
> Hello -
> I've been successfully running Rancid to backup my switches for about 4
> months. I updated the code on one of my cisco switches and after
> rebooting it, rancid reports that it cannot connect to it. Checking the
> /usr/local/rancid/var/logs file, the most recent file states:
>
> clogin error: Error: Connection closed (ssh)
>
> However, I can successfully ssh admin at x.x.x.x and connect to the switch
> without any issues while logged in as rancid or root.
>
> Any suggestions on what else I can try?

To debug clogin issues the best approach by far is to log in as the user
rancid runs as and run

clogin <hostname>

where <hostname> is whatever you have in .cloginrc.
Login issues are immediately apparent this way and the output does not
make it into rancid's logs. All you get there is a generic message that
essentially says "something went wrong"

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckinnon at gmail.com