[rancid] Trouble grabbing configs from a Foundry FesX

Jethro R Binks jethro.binks at strath.ac.uk
Wed Jul 2 20:56:27 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2 Jul 2014, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> I don't have any Foundry kit, but for the benefit of all, why would
> clogin work for the OP but flogin not work?

Because the login process is similar enough to match the regexps?

Actually, for most of my F kit, the login prompt is:

Please Enter Login Name:

and that doesn't match with the clogin I have.  However, I have one device
that happens to be just protected with a password rather than a
username/pass:

/usr/local/libexec/rancid/clogin ip.ad.re.ss
spawn telnet ip.ad.re.ss
Trying ip.ad.re.ss...
Won't send login name and/or authentication information.
Connected to ip.ad.re.ss
Escape character is '^]'.

User Access Verification

Please Enter Password:

User login successful.

so in at least that circumstance, they are similar enough.  Of course it
all breaks if rancid starts sending cisco-esque commands rather than
foundry-esque ones.

clogin itself works with quite a lot of stuff that roughly looks
cisco-ish, as they all tend to have a Username/Password prompt that
matches the fairly generous clogin regexp, and tend to have a CLI prompt
that ends with '>'.  It all goes wrong afterwards ...

(I do think it a source of confusion for the newcomer that 'rancid' the
project now supports many types of device, but while in v2 the Cisco login
script is clogin, the Cisco command script is not crancid, but just plain
rancid - all the rest have a matching prefix for the *login and *rancid
scripts afaicr).

Jethro.

Jethro R Binks, Network Manager,
Information Services Directorate, University Of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK

The University of Strathclyde is a charitable body, registered in
Scotland, number SC015263.