[rancid] Trouble grabbing configs from a Foundry FesX

heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Thu Jul 3 16:02:45 UTC 2014

Thu, Jul 03, 2014 at 08:29:25AM -0700, Scott Baker:
> On 07/02/2014 06:03 PM, heasley wrote:
> > Couldn't tell you - debug it.  flogin -d ...., see where it's waiting and
> > why.  I do not know of a way to include timestamps in that debugging o/p,
> > so you'd have to tell us where its waiting.  or possibly good enough
> >
> > flogin -d ... 2>&1 | while read ln; do echo -n `date +%s`; echo " $ln"; done
> >

> Good call, didn't think about doing that. I ended up using ts from
> moreutils to get the same effect. Looks like flogin uses
> "skip-page-display" and clogin uses "terminal length 0".
> Skip-page-display takes 4 seconds to run. The majority of the slowness
> in flogin appears to be the actual login process. Flogin is taking 20
> seconds just to get to the enable prompt. Clogin is taking one second. I
> haven't even started to look at why clogin/ssh works, but flogin/ssh
> doesn't, which is how this whole thing started.

I couldnt say :) historically, foundry cli and configuration has been
*awful*.  but, you see in your o/p that term length doesn't actually work,
so it will be paging the o/p, which just makes a mess.

so, complain to the mfg about the speed of the command.  or look for PRs
and subsequently s/w where it is fixed.  also, that may not be it; 4s is
much less than the 90s that francid uses for timeout.

on to the ssh problem, use -t 180 to debug and see where it is failing.  the
full collection commands are (francid -C):

flogin -t 180 -c 'show version;show chassis;show module;show flash;write term;show running-config' hostname