[rancid] Best way to avoid regular diffs?

Dave Ewart davee at ceu.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jul 4 15:39:16 UTC 2014

On Friday, 04.07.2014 at 15:30 +0000, heasley wrote:

> > [...]
> >
> > Is my approach reasonable or can you suggest a better, more robust
> > approach?
>
> move to rancid 3.1; copy the cisco definition from rancid.types.base
> to rancid.types.conf, rename it, and remove or comment the commands
> you do not want.  so, no modification of stock, easier upgrades - i
> hope.
>
> I believe 3.1 will also filter the vlan command anyway, if the vlan
> type is dynamic (or whatever the value is).

Ah, that's interesting to know.  I'm using a Debian server and it has
nothing later than 2.3.8 packaged.  I see a Debian bug
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=751975 asking for 3.1
to be packaged.

The method you describe is exactly the framework I was hoping to be able
to use, certainly.

Cheers,

Dave.

--
Dave Ewart
davee at ceu.ox.ac.uk
Computing Manager, Cancer Epidemiology Unit
University of Oxford
N 51.7516, W 1.2152