[rancid] Rancid 3.1, router.db using ; instead of :, device_type is empty

Daniel Jacobs daniel.jacobs at doortodoororganics.com
Mon Jul 7 19:45:00 UTC 2014

I just installed rancid 3.1 from source on a Centos 6.5 machine. I'm trying
to get the configs for our Adtran routers, so I figured I'd use the adtran
definition from rancid.types.base, but I've also tried this with cisco in
place of adtran in router.db and got the same results.

Here is my router.db:

router1.mydomain.com;adtran;up
router2.mydomain.com;adtran;up
router3.mydomain.com;adtran;up

output:

$ /usr/local/rancid/bin/rancid /usr/local/rancid/bin/rancid-run
loadtype(): device_type is empty
Couldn't load device type spec for

It works if I do this:
$ rancid -t cisco 10.4.0.1

And if I try this:
$ rancid -t adtran 10.4.0.1
I get this as output:
inloop is not configured for device type adtran at
/usr/local/rancid/bin/rancid line 121.

Since I've already made sure I'm using semicolons instead of colons, what
am I missing?

Thanks!

Daniel