[rancid] Trouble grabbing configs from a Foundry FesX

Jethro R Binks jethro.binks at strath.ac.uk
Wed Jul 9 10:50:12 UTC 2014

That all sounds very plausible.

So, -h may be required at least for some Brocade hardware, but at the cost
of making the whole flogin session take longer (in comparison with
clogin).

Thanks for the additional info,

Jethro.

On Wed, 9 Jul 2014, Roman Hochuli wrote:

> Hello All
>
> > they were added to clogin because some boxes were echo'g strangely and in
> > some cases would drop chars at the end of a line.  slowing it down, made
> > it behave more often than not.  but, what i mean there is the actual --
> > part, not the -h.
>
> We've got quite a bunch of those boxes. It is well known to us that for
> example copy-pasting config snippets is not handled nicely under certain
> circumstances on the FESX. The keyboard-buffer of the telnet-session
> seems to be extremly limited.
> Depending on config-mode and preceding command it may be completely
> disabled, sometimes even ignoring or blocking input at all. Those
> behaviours are bascially undocumented, but seem to be by-design.
>
> The keyboard buffer issue is even worse with ssh. My rough guess for the
> root of that problem is, that the management-cpu is simply overloaded
> with calculating the encryption of the ssh-session. There were high-cpu
> situation where we were unable to access the device over ssh at all
> while telnet still worked (reasonably slow).
>
> To be fair: the FESX6-series devices seem to behave a lot better than
> the original FESX4-series devices. Newer firmware is also helping to
> solve the keyboard-buffer issue at certain points.
>
> So bottom-line: there are certainly reasons for slowing down command
> input on that platform. :)
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Roman Hochuli
> Operations Manager
>
> nexellent ag
> Saegereistrasse 33
> CH-8152 Glattbrugg
>
> Phone:       +41 44 872 20 00
> Fax:         +41 44 872 20 01
>
> Imagination is the one weapon in the war
> against reality.
>                     -- Jules de Gaultier

Jethro R Binks, Network Manager,
Information Services Directorate, University Of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK

The University of Strathclyde is a charitable body, registered in
Scotland, number SC015263.