[rancid] Cisco Banner Issue

Hans Mueller rancid_mueller at gmx.de
Thu Mar 20 09:27:18 UTC 2014

Hi,

I'm trying to migrate my rancid installation from one box to another.
Everything seems to work fine but there are login problems on some
routers (about 10 %). The problems seems to be the "motd banner". If i
try to login to these routers the login looks like this (the banner is
orginal, without any changes):
rancid at rancid(~)$ clogin g546.abcd.domain.net
g546.abcd.domain.net
spawn telnet g546.abcd.domain.net
Trying 172.24.999.999...
Connected to g546.abcd.domain.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
CC
*                                                        *
*                                                        *
*     Routername: g546.abcd.domain.net                   *
*                                                        *
*     Kunde: Hans Mueller                                *
*            Standort                                    *
*            Strasse 81                                  *
*            12345 Ortschaft                             *
*                                                        *
*                                                        *
*     Ansprechpartner: Frau Mueller                      *
*     Telefon: +49-1234-234-678                          *
*                                                        *
*     Kundennummer:   12436                              *
*     Auftragsnummer: XY#763743                          *
*                                                        *
*                                                        *

User Access Verification

Username:

User Access Verification

Username:
%
User Access Verification

Username:  timeout expired!Connection closed by foreign host.

Error: EOF received
rancid at rancid(~)$

If i remove the banner, the login with clogin works fine. But i don't
want to remove the banner.

Rancid works fine on my old box but not on the new one.

Software versions:
Old debian box:
Rancid: 2.3.8
Expect: 5.44.1.15

New debian box:
Rancid: 2.3.7
Expect: 5.45

Here there any hints to solve this problem.

Best regards

Hans