[rancid] Getting viewvc colored diffs to work

Elliot Wilen elliot.wilen at aechelon.com
Thu Mar 20 21:43:12 UTC 2014

There are a couple walkthroughs for setting up rancid + viewvc at http://www.shrubbery.net/rancid/#started, which were extremely helpful in terms of getting everything working. But I still found that viewvc's "colored diff" options weren't actually showing any colors.

I just found the answer, so in the hope that this will help someone, here it is:

Edit /etc/viewvc/viewvc.conf and comment out the line that reads

docroot = /viewvc-static

If you'd like, you could read the documentation above that line to make things work slightly more efficiently, but for my purposes this was enough. There's no need to restart httpd, although you may need to clear your browser cache before reloading the web page.

As a bonus you also get some nice icons and logos.

--
Elliot Wilen
Sr. System Administrator
E-Mail: elliot.wilen at aechelon.com