[rancid] Is there a working f5rancid script for 10.1 and 11.4 ?

Matt Almgren malmgren at skyfire.com
Wed Mar 26 21:22:05 UTC 2014

Hi all, I'm looking for a working f5rancid script for the following:

We have a mix of f5 devices that are running either 10.1/10.2(bigpipe) or 11.4 (tmsh).   Our configured "rancid" user is logging in via TACACS and is dropped into the advanced shell.  Using the original f5rancid script, of course there's no tmsh commands, so it fails for the 11.4 devices.  So I downloaded the latest f5rancid script from the github repo here: https://github.com/dotwaffle/rancid-git/blob/master/bin/f5rancid.in, which has tmsh commands in it, but it doesn't work as I think it should and brings up more questions.

When I run the f5rancid script manually I see that it doesn't look like it's choosing the tmsh commands.   Is there something I am missing to tell it to use tmsh?   I would think it can grok that from the command prompt, but I'm not sure of the logic.  I tried looking at the f5rancid script and I see where it's supposed to make the choice, but my perl skills suck.

[rancid at sfo-admin007 bin]$ ./f5rancid -d mtv-lb001
executing clogin -t 90 -c "bigpipe version 2>&1" mtv-lb001
executing clogin -t 90 -c "bigpipe version;bigpipe platform;cat /config/bigip.license;bigpipe monitor list all;bigpipe profile list;bigpipe base list;bigpipe db show;bigpipe route static show;bigpipe list" mtv-lb001
sh: clogin: command not found
mtv-lb001: missed cmd(s): bigpipe route static show,bigpipe base list,cat /config/bigip.license,bigpipe platform,bigpipe db show,bigpipe monitor list all,bigpipe version,bigpipe profile list,bigpipe list
mtv-lb001: missed cmd(s): bigpipe route static show,bigpipe base list,cat /config/bigip.license,bigpipe platform,bigpipe db show,bigpipe monitor list all,bigpipe version,bigpipe profile list,bigpipe list
mtv-lb001: End of run not found
mtv-lb001: End of run not found
#
[rancid at sfo-admin007 bin]$

Clogin shows that it is able to login and lands in the advanced shell:

[rancid at sfo-admin007 root]$ /usr/local/rancid/bin/clogin mtv-lb001
mtv-lb001
spawn ssh -c 3des -x -l rancid mtv-lb001
Password:
Last login: Wed Mar 26 13:58:46 2014 from 10.102.128.27
[rancid at mtv-lb001:Active:Standalone] ~ #

Anyone got a working f5 script and brief README they can share with me?

Thanks, Matt

--
Matt Almgren | Sr. Network Engineer
779 Evelyn Ave, Suite 200

This message is being sent by Skyfire Labs. It is intended exclusively for the individuals and entities to which it is addressed. This communication, including any attachments, may contain information that is proprietary, privileged, confidential, or otherwise subject to restrictions on disclosure pursuant to applicable law. If you are not the named addressee, you are not authorized to read, print, retain copy or disseminate this message or any part of it. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by email and delete all copies of this message. This message is protected by applicable legal privileges and is confidential.