[rancid] (no subject) and Re: System Up Time & Dell

Alan McKinnon alan.mckinnon at gmail.com
Thu May 8 20:28:20 UTC 2014

Or just move rancid to git?

Alex's original post was about finding a way for rancid to detect
"cycling/incrementing output" and just deal with it somehow. I think we
can all agree this is a bad idea, not least because it involves
intelligent magic code that doesn't exist. And also because removing
unwanted output requires knowing what the output *means* to decide if
it's worthless or not. Code can't do that and any attempt to do so will
be very error-prone.

Bit the original problem remains - all serious rancid users seem to
gather a large collection of tweaks and patches. Some are generally
useful and haven't made it into the release yet, other patches scratch
someone's itch but are unlikely to ship by default (eg prompt detection
and banners).

So if people patch rancid locally (and this does seem to be the best
method overall), why not make it as easy as possible for sysadmins to do
so? Git is ideal for this. Maintaining your own branch in cvs/svn and
synced with upstream is not especially pleasant, in git it is rather
trivial. Plus you get the ability to cherry pick other's patches if they
use git.