[rancid] eliminating noise

Dan Anderson dan.w.anderson at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 03:57:24 UTC 2014

I agree. RANCID is great for config management but it's pretty obvious that
it wasn't designed for thresholding applications. In the past I have
leveraged clogin, etc. from within a custom wrapper script to log into
devices and run commands to gather data that I couldn't get via SNMP
(xlates on an ASA per-context, etc.) because it saved me from having to
write my own login routines. Clogin grabbed the raw command output and the
wrapper massaged it into the formant that I wanted and then dumped it into
RRDs or MySQL. Using the CVS/SVN/whatever backend as your database doesn't
scale very well, especially if you want to see a lot of data over time. In
addition, using RANCID to hold all that info inflicts a lot of pain on your
poor inbox if you're having diffs sent via email. After a while, people
start ignoring the email messages and missing important changes when
they're used to a steady stream of fluff.

Since the environmental information is usually available via SNMP, why not
use one of the many decent freely-available systems out there that was
actually designed to do thresholding and alerting? RANCID's great, but it
shouldn't be the only tool in the toolbox.

Dan