[rancid] issue with missed cmd(s)

Alan McKinnon alan.mckinnon at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 19:27:28 UTC 2014

On 03/10/2014 20:34, Luke Arntz wrote:
> Hi everyone!
>

> I’m trying to resolve an issue with missed commands.  We have many
> devices that work properly with no errors.  We are using version 2.3.6.
> I’ve tried a separate install of 3.1 and it has the same issue.  I did
> copy the cvs repository for use with 3.1.
>

> The device is a Cisco 2921. I’ve searched through the message boards as
> thoroughly as I could, but I haven’t come up with an answer that works.
> Originally the missed command was write term.  I commented that out in
> the rancid and cat5command files.  Now I just get the same error with
> show running-config.
>

> Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Thank you.
>

> Here are the logs….
>

> Trying to get all of the configs.
>
> xx.xx.xx.net: missed cmd(s): show running-config
>
> =====================================
>
> Getting missed routers: round 1.
>
> xx.xx.xx.net: missed cmd(s): show running-config
>
> =====================================
>
> Getting missed routers: round 2.
>
> xx.xx.xx.net: missed cmd(s): show running-config

That's a common catch-all error, what it means is that rancid knows it
fired off the command but can't find the point in the output where it
starts. That's all the script knows so it can't give a more specific
error message. There are quite a few reasons I've seen why this can
happen, they all require manual intervention and eyeballs.

Assuming your 2921 is configured as a cisco run

rancid -d <device_name>

and read the output closely. Also run the exact clogin command that
rancid launches and look at the result closely. It's very likely you
will have a "#" or ">" in your banner, that really messes up the works
as rancid can't reliably find the command prompt.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckinnon at gmail.com