[rancid] RANCID is incorrectly parsing my Cisco IOS Firewall, adding linebreaks, joining lines, etc

heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Tue Sep 23 15:31:17 UTC 2014

Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 11:17:35PM +0200, Per-Olof Olsson:
> Hello
>
> Have seen diffs like this when vtp trunks change up/down state.
>
> Formating is done by IOS  for "show vlan", so it will be hard to fix splited lines in rancid.
> You are not alone to dislike diffs like this.
> In many IOS versions it posible turn of all line wrapping by setting "terminal length 0".
> I think it's one way of make diffs from "show vlan" more readable.

The code should not save show vlan output if the switch is not doing VTP
transparent, which is why I was asking if VTP was being used.

another option, for rancid 3.0, is just comment-out the show vlan command.

yet another option, for formatting, is to break-up each port member into an
individual line.  less compact, but more easily read diffs