[rancid] "End of run not found" when running with a DLink switch

Roberto Greiner roberto at nead.unesp.br
Thu Apr 30 17:54:25 UTC 2015

Hi,

I'm trying to set rancid to read the configuration for a D-Link DGS-3420
switch, but I'm hitting on an error where rancid fails to get the switch
configurations with an "End of run not found" message.

I'm running rancid 3.2 in a Debian 7 box, with cvsweb for reading the
cvs. Rancid is working properly, as I'm getting the all the configs for
some 3Com switches (3Com 4500 and 3Com 4800).

I added the following line do router.db:
dlink-poe-datacenter1.<my-domain>;dell;up

Running "rancid -t dell -C dlink-poe-datacenter1.<mydomain>" I get the
following output:
dllogin -t 300 -c 'show switch;show config current_config'
dlink-poe-datacenter1.<mydomain>

Running "time dllogin -t 300 -c 'show switch;show config current_config'
dlink-poe-datacenter1.<mydomain>" (notice 'time' at the beginning), I
get all the configs for the switch, and a running time of ~19 seconds.
So, the switch is answering and sending all the config quickly,
indicating also that there is no timeout problem.

Running "rancid -t dell -d dlink-poe-datacenter1.<mydomain>", returns
the following output (also after ~19 seconds):
HIT COMMAND:DGS-3420-28PC:admin#show switch
    In GetSystem: DGS-3420-28PC:admin#show switch
HIT COMMAND:DGS-3420-28PC:admin#show config current_config
    In GetConf: DGS-3420-28PC:admin#show config current_config
dlink-poe-datacenter1.<mydomain>: End of run not found
dlink-poe-datacenter1.<mydomain>: End of run not found
#-------------------------------------------------------------------

I've used  'NOPIPE=yes;export NOPIPE' to generate the output from the
switch, and rancid does indeed read everything from the dlink switch.
The .raw file ends with the following:
DGS-3420-28PC:admin#logoutConnection to dlink-poe-datacenter1.<mydomain>
closed by remote host.
Connection to dlink-poe-datacenter1.<mydomain> closed.

My .cloginrc has the following entries:
add cyphertype *
{aes128-ctr,aes192-ctr,aes256-ctr,aes128-cbc,aes192-cbc,aes256-cbc}
add method * ssh
add user dlink* admin
add password dlink* <somepassword>
add autoenable dlink*   1

Could somebody help me out? I don't know what else I should do.  I think
it' probably some simple setting, but I don't know what else is missing.

Thank you,

Roberto Greiner

                Marcos Roberto Greiner

   Os otimistas acham que estamos no melhor dos mundos
    Os pessimistas tem medo de que isto seja verdade
                                  James Branch Cabell