[rancid] IOS interfaces (show controllers) reappear after rancid upgrade

Alan McKinnon alan.mckinnon at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 12:07:17 UTC 2015

On 05/08/2015 13:38, Marki wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I noticed a thing going from Rancid 2.3 to 3.2.
>
> For ISDN PRIs rancid checks in a change every time a connection is up when
> rancid is checking:
>
> !Interface: Serial0/0/0:27, HDLC32
>
> In fact, I checked our old repos and there were no more "!Interface" lines
> at all since 2011. That must have been the time when we upgraded to 2.3.
> (Bug or feature?)
>
> It seems to be getting this from "show controllers":

> Interface Serial0/0/0:15
> Hardware is HDLC32
>
> I have tried to compare bin/rancid in 2.3 and lib/rancid/ios.pm in 3.2 and I
> fail to see why this seems to work differently. Anyone have an idea?
>
> (Note: In this case the control channel Serial0/0/0:15, HDLC32 is always there.)

What 2.3 version were you running?

2.3.8 should be doing the same as 3.2, here is the 2.3.8 code that does it:

# This routine parses "show controllers"
sub ShowContAll {

    # ...

    while (<INPUT>) {
        if (/^Interface ([^ \n(]*)/) { $INT = "$1, "; next; }
        # ...
        /^Hardware is (.*)/ &&
            ProcessHistory("INT","","","!Interface: $INT$1\n") && next;

# ...

Possibly you were running a 2.3 that did not have that code?

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckinnon at gmail.com