[rancid] Issues with the latest version of OpenSSH and Rancid 3.2-2.

Alan McKinnon alan.mckinnon at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 21:50:54 UTC 2015

On 28/12/2015 23:30, Sebastien.Boulianne at cpu.ca wrote:
> WOW. Thanks for your very fast answer. It's appreciate.
> It works perfectly...
>
> AND for that, do you have a clue Lee ?
>
> bin/flogin b.10.10.84.8
> b.10.10.84.8
> spawn ssh -1 -c aes256-cbc -x -l admin b.10.10.84.8
> ssh1 is not supported
>
> Error: Couldn't login

Now you have a real problem. I could be wrong on the details, I believe
debian now disables all support for ssh1 protocol in openssh-7 and
above. In other words, you will never use that ssh to log into that
device - the code is not there.

Do check the Changelogs for your distro, debian and derivatives are very
good at listing exactly what changed. If ssh1 support is indeed gone you
have three options:

Does flogin then attempt an ssh2 login which succeeds?
If so, you must modify flogin to prevent it trying ssh1 protocol.

Other than that, you have some options, none of them especially nice:

1. downgrade openssh on the rancid host to 6.x
2. replace the network device with something shipped this millenium
3. install the openssh sources and recompile with ssh1 support enabled

You were always going to have to deal with this sometime, now is a good
time. ssh1 should have died by fire 10 or more years ago

/alanm