[rancid] Issues with the latest version of OpenSSH and Rancid 3.2-2.

Howard Jones howie at thingy.com
Tue Dec 29 10:40:21 UTC 2015

On 28/12/2015 22:14, Lee wrote:
> On 12/28/15, Sebastien.Boulianne at cpu.ca <Sebastien.Boulianne at cpu.ca> wrote:
>> WOW. Thanks for your very fast answer. It's appreciate.
>> It works perfectly...
>>
>> AND for that, do you have a clue Lee ?
>>
>> bin/flogin b.10.10.84.8
>> b.10.10.84.8
>> spawn ssh -1 -c aes256-cbc -x -l admin b.10.10.84.8
>> ssh1 is not supported
>>
>> Error: Couldn't login

For a similar situation (I ended up resolving it a different way, but
this was the temporary fix), I built last years OpenSSH in /opt/oldssh.
When you build with GNU Configure, you can almost always add a --prefix
flag to have it build somewhere non-standard. Then RANCID allows you to
use the sshcmd directive in your .cloginrc to use /opt/oldssh/bin/ssh
instead of the system ssh.

Two things to note: you have last year's ssh bugs too, although that is
usually more of a risk with the server than client, and also be sure to
read the output from "./configure --prefix=/opt/oldssh" to make sure it
won't touch /etc at all too. Or just compile as the RANCID user, so that
it couldn't touch /etc even if it wanted to.

You may also find you can build the current openssh, but without the
(guessing the name) --without-ssh1 flag on configure.

Howard