[rancid] Fortigate diffs when nothing actually changed

Chard, Alex (RET-SYD) Alex.Chard at Reed-Elsevier.com.au
Tue Feb 10 04:21:59 UTC 2015

Hi Robert,
>From the diff, it looks to me like it is seeing a change in the config. (The 'exit' command in this case).
But the config on the device did not change. I see this moderately frequently - it ranges from every few days to several times a day.
It does not happen on all devices.

Thanks,
Alex

From: Rancid-discuss [mailto:rancid-discuss-bounces at shrubbery.net] On Behalf Of Robert Drake
Sent: Monday, 9 February 2015 9:46 PM
To: rancid-discuss at shrubbery.net
Subject: Re: [rancid] Fortigate diffs when nothing actually changed

Try running the diff on the cli and check whitespace?  Diff is a pretty base-level thing, so it's not rancid that's tripping but something in the actual config which makes it see a difference, but it's something that doesn't show up on-screen.

If it is whitespace then there might be an error in the rancid script that parses lines and adds a space, or there might be something in the router that leaves whitespace where it shouldn't.  Either way, it should be correctable by having the rancid script remove the offending stuff.