[rancid] Issue with nx-os after switch upgrades

Alan McKinnon alan.mckinnon at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 19:52:53 UTC 2015

On Wed, 4 Mar 2015 17:52:43 +0000
John Livingston <John.Livingston at Emulex.Com> wrote:

> I have a set of MDS switches that yesterday were upgraded from SAN-OS
> 3.3 to NX-OS 5.2 and now the nxrancid script is failing with an "end
> of run not found" error message as shown below:
>
> 	ibmbc1-fc2: missed cmd(s): show running-config
> 	ibmbc1-fc2: missed cmd(s): show running-config
> 	ibmbc1-fc2: End of run not found
> 	ibmbc1-fc2: End of run not found
> 	ibmbc1-fc2: clean: 0, end: 0
> 	!PROC_LOGS:                                   ^
>
> Any recommendations or advise on how to fix this?  I have another 10
> or so switches to go this weekend and don't want to lose backups on
> these.  Currently running version 2.3.8 of rancid and using the stock
> nxrancid script.

John,

There's no generic catch-all process or fix for this situation, and the
printed output is essentialy useless. All it says is "something went
wrong" but we already know that. Essentially, nxrancid can't make
complete sense of the output and it's not finding where various parts
(individual commands or perhaps everything) begin and end. We need more
information:

nxrancid -d <device>

where <device> is the name in router.db - this will at least show what
commands, if any, are being recognised. Then we will need to dig deeper
and find out why.

Then, one of the first things printed with -d is the full clogin
command used by nxrancid. Run that, deleting out all the commands
except show running-config and see what's going on.

In my experience, I've found things like this:

- Incorrect end-of-line characters at the end of a command output
- No blank line adter the end of a command output when the parser
  expects one
- Prompt redefined to something nxrancid can't parse
- Odd characters in the login banner (including the notorious " and >)

Alan

alan.mckinnon at gmail.com