[rancid] Merging rancid-git with mainline rancid

heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Thu Mar 19 06:00:40 UTC 2015

Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 10:33:11PM +0000, Matthew Walster:
> For a few years now, I've been running a separate patch tree for the git
> work Jeff Ollie once did. I've accepted a few patches into it for different
> functionality, but ultimately I've been trying to get people to submit
> these patches to upstream (i.e. here). Very few (if any) actually did.
>
> Now that we have git support in the mainline release, I'd like to try and
> re-integrate those patches back upstream... Except there's a big problem:
>
> rancid-git currently does one repo per install.
>
> rancid currently does one repo per group.
>
> Clearly, the rancid (upstream) way is a consistent, proper way to do it.

i'm relieved that folks agree.  i was concerned that folks would be angry
about that, but after discussing it with a few, it seemed the best choice.

> Therefore I'm planning on writing some kind of migration tool which will
> re-write a history. Would that be interesting to people?
>
> Also, John Heasley -- there's a few patches in my branch that might be
> interesting to you (pfsense support, fixes for modern F5 etc), would you
> prefer patch sets of "one per feature" to be submitted, or just one big
> patch set? Feel free to reject anything you don't like.

either way; though i prefer the latter, since it may be easier to debug
issues if they arise in other's environments.