[rancid] Alternatives to cleartext password in .cloginrc ?

Matt Almgren matta at surveymonkey.com
Tue May 5 18:38:13 UTC 2015

BTW, I have read some interesting replies in the mailing list archives:

If your poller is not secure it doesn't matter what authentication method you use. So while you could for some platforms set up .shosts or RSA authorized keys, it doesn't really accomplish anything.

And

If something automated is going to log into a router, it needs an authentication credential.  That's going to have to be stored somewhere. If you store it encrypted, then you're going to need to store the decryption key somewhere.  All that does is rearrange the exposure, not solve it.

And

If you use a TACACS server for authentication, then you could do some interesting things to make the passwords RANCID uses less useful to outsiders - for example, the TACACS server could only allow the RANCID username to be used from the RANCID host, or during certain times of day, or only allow it to execute a limited subset of commands.

I’m just wondering if there’s any new information or ideas.

Thanks, Matt