[rancid] Good guide to install Rancid and differ.

on at LEFerguson.com on at LEFerguson.com
Sun Oct 11 17:08:13 UTC 2015

I just installed on 15.04 without any real issues using the included instructions.  There's lots of examples online as well, though some are quite old and have issues.

Fundamentally all I did was:

- Install 15.04, got postfix running for email
- Downloaded 3.2, unpacked.
- Create account and change to it (imaginatively enough I used "rancid"), optionally with an admin group
- Ran configure (I used ./configure --prefix=/home/rancid --localstatedir=/home/rancid/var/rancid )
- Make install
- Edit the rancid.conf for the groups needed
- copy cloginrc.sample to the prefix directory and edit it
- REMOVE or comment what's in there (there's a bunch commented, but a bunch not)
- Add your methods and passwords, notably for a typical setup

add method * ssh
add user * adminuseryouuse
add password * adminpasswordyouuse

- Add any exceptions with different passwords explicitly, e.g.

add password weirdrouter otherpassword

- Add the aliases for each group (there's an example)  and test outside of rancid to make sure they work.
- Add path in profile of the rancid account
	PATH="$HOME/bin:$PATH"
- Run the rancid-cvs from the rancid account
- add the routers to router.db in each group as appropriate
- test with clogin and/or rancid-run from the rancid account
- Schedule as you prefer under rancid account in crontab, here's an example I used:

su - rancid
crontab -e
# run config differ every 4 hours
0 */4 * * * /home/rancid/bin/rancid-run
# clean out config differ logs over 2 days old
50 23 * * * /usr/bin/find /home/rancid/var/rancid/logs -type f -mtime +2 -exec rm {} \;

There's lots of examples visible in google of using the login to test, but once you start running things you should be able to see what the issues are.  Logs go down inside the localstatedir directory if I recall, but are in a folder called logs.

Basically it's all in the instructions included, though while a bit terse, seem pretty complete.

Linwood