[rancid] Nexus 9k Login Crypto

Piegorsch, Weylin William weylin at bu.edu
Thu Dec 29 03:08:32 UTC 2016

Regarding type “cisco-nx”, is there a need to take into account the Nexus 9000 crypto support?

See here:
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/nexus-9000-series-switches/200663-Unable-to-SSH-into-Nexus-9K-fatal.html

I found that my default setting yielded:

[rancid at localhost ~]$ clogin Nexus-9k
Nexus-9k
spawn telnet Nexus-9k
Trying 10.123.12.241...
telnet: connect to address 10.123.12.241: Connection refused
spawn ssh -c 3des -x -l rancid Nexus-9k
no matching cipher found: client 3des-cbc server aes128-ctr,aes192-ctr,aes256-ctr

Error: Couldn't login: Nexus-9k
[rancid at localhost ~]$

However, if I added the line to my .cloginrc:
add cyphertype Nexus-9k {aes128-ctr,aes192-ctr,aes256-ctr}

Then everything worked fine (I’ll spare everyone the output).

I’m not clear this is a rancid issue, or a local system issue.  Is it something at least worth noting?

weylin