[rancid] rancid 3.7 and HP 1910-8G - can't get rancid to work with that router

heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Mon Dec 11 15:12:36 UTC 2017

Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 02:51:27PM +0000, Eichhorn, Thomas:
> Hello,
>
> I'm new to rancid and don't know, how to solve my problem. Maybe someone can help me.
>
> I did setup rancid 3.7. Everything works quite well so far except for some routers.
>
> We've got a HP 1910-8G and I can't find a way to get rancid to work probably with that router type.
>
> If router type is set to 'hp', rancid-run won't end his run and runs forever without any configs get backed up.

HP OEMs a lot of their network hardware; so while badged hp, its not one
to rancid due to the o/s.  look at rancid.types.base; there are a number
of comments there about HP devices and the rancid types that are known to
work with them.

> I've found some scripts ('h3clogin'; 'h3crancid') on another server in our network. rancid-run ends correctly with this script but throws some errors:
> defined(%hash) is deprecated at /usr/local/rancid/bin/h3crancid line 121.
>         (Maybe you should just omit the defined()?)
> defined(%hash) is deprecated at /usr/local/rancid/bin/h3crancid line 121.
>         (Maybe you should just omit the defined()?)
> defined(%hash) is deprecated at /usr/local/rancid/bin/h3crancid line 121.
>         (Maybe you should just omit the defined()?)
> defined(%hash) is deprecated at /usr/local/rancid/bin/h3crancid line 121.
>         (Maybe you should just omit the defined()?)
> defined(%hash) is deprecated at /usr/local/rancid/bin/h3crancid line 121.
>         (Maybe you should just omit the defined()?)
> lnb-o2a: End of run not found
>  % Unrecognized command found at '^' position.
> defined(%hash) is deprecated at /usr/local/rancid/bin/h3crancid line 121.
>         (Maybe you should just omit the defined()?)
> lnb-o2b: End of run not found
>  % Unrecognized command found at '^' position.
> lnb-o3a: End of run not found
>  % Unrecognized command found at '^' position.
> lnb-o1a: End of run not found
>  % Unrecognized command found at '^' position.
> lnb-o1b: End of run not found
>  % Unrecognized command found at '^' position.
> lnb-o3b: End of run not found
>  % Unrecognized command found at '^' position.
>
> Now I don't know what to do. Any suggestions?

h3crancid is a 3rdparty module.  Those errors imply to me that some command
required by that module are not implemented by the device.

the errors before that appear to be programming errors, likely grammar
that was permissible in a previous version of perl.

Grüße