[rancid] Upgrades with new commands and custom PM files.

Jason Biel jason at biel-tech.com
Tue Feb 21 18:09:22 UTC 2017

When adding new commands via creating rancid.types.conf and creating a new
*.pm file, what is the best process with regards to upgrading?

I've been running 3.2 with a specific rancid.types.conf file that
referenced specific *.pm files, but after upgrading to 3.6.2, none of them
worked because the *.pm files are specifically hard coded to the rancid
version.  To create my specific *.pm files I just copied the current *.pm
file from the 3.2 install and made my modifications there, such as the
commands and the sub-routine.

3.2 - 'use rancid 3.2'
3.6.2 - 'use rancid 3.6.2'

Is there a better way?