[rancid] Reasoning behind not running a "show vlan" if specific VTP options are set?

Mischa Diehm mischa.diehm at unibas.ch
Fri Jan 13 14:22:43 UTC 2017

Hi

I was wondering why we didn’t get any
!VLAN…
lines for our nexus 7700 rancid runs and found out that on the nexus a „show vtp“ gives:

XXX-cc# show vtp status
Service not enabled

looking at the code I found that in /usr/share/perl5/rancid/nxos.pm:

In sub ShowVTP
        # Nexus 5k and 1000v do note support vtp
        if (!/^VTP Operating Mode\s+:\s+(Transparent|Server)/) {
            $DO_SHOW_VLAN = 0;
        }
and later in sub ShowVLAN:

    ($_ = <$INPUT>, return(1)) if (!$DO_SHOW_VLAN);

Similar for ios.. I wonder why it would be bad to have the output of „show vlan“ in the config even if we were running the VTP-Modes exclude like „Server“. Okay the vlan configs might be inside the config (not always like in the „Server“ case) but the „show vlan“ shows more information like which interfaces are configured etc. So wouldn’t it be good to just remove this restriction?

Thanks,
-m

--
Mischa Diehm | Network Team (NINS)