[rancid] ASAs with multiple contexts

heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Thu May 11 19:19:09 UTC 2017

Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 04:43:08PM -0500, Mark Felder:
> It seems this horse has been beaten to death for many years, but no
> single solution exists that I've been able to locate. Even the Oxidized
> folks haven't solved it yet, but they have a patch in progress. [1]
>
> Is there a solution for RANCID users yet or are people still hacking
> away at the code to make it work for their specific
> environments/devices?

I thought that one of these caught the contexts of the ASA:

cisco;command;ios::WriteTerm;more system:running-config;ASA/PIX
cisco;command;ios::WriteTerm;show running-config view full;workaround for role-based CLI

Others have used separate router.db entries for each context on the PIX.

And, the a10 has some similar configuration that is apparently (I do not
have one and am not familiar with it) not dumped with the rest of the
config.  To collect that, a10login had some weird stuff, which was buggy,
that attempt to parse the output from one of the commands in the command
list for a10 and insert other commands into the output.

To do that more generically - and not in tcl, i started adding a way to
insert commands.  eg:

 a10;command;acos::ShowAflex;show aflex all-partitions
+a10;precommand;acos::AflexCmds;show aflex;#requires the command above
 a10;command;acos::ShowRunningConfig;show running-config all-partitions

rancid would run the precommand(s), which could insert commands into
the command list or a postcommand list to collect output for each of
the configured partitions.  It does mean multiple logins, but feh.

Is this appealing for the ASA (another platform I have little experience
with) problem?