[rancid] Printed artifact when rancid logs into a switch (^[[53; 211R)

Remsik,Robert Robert.Remsik at colostate.edu
Tue May 16 22:41:02 UTC 2017

Hello!

I'm trying to troubleshoot a case where rancid's not backing up a device properly because it can't login.

... In the test.log file: ...

starting: Tue May 16 15:37:25 MDT 2017

Trying to get all of the configs.
couldn't compile regular expression pattern: parentheses () not balanced
    while executing
"expect {
        -re "\[\n\r]+"  { exp_continue }
        -re $reprompt   {}
    }"
    (procedure "run_commands" line 12)
    invoked from within
"run_commands $prompt $command"
    ("foreach" body line 159)
    invoked from within
"foreach router [lrange $argv $i end] {
    set router [string tolower $router]
    send_user "$router\n"

    # device timeout
    set timeout [find t..."
    (file "/path-to-rancid/rancid-3.5.1/bin/hlogin" line 657)^M
10.100.116.17: missed cmd(s): all commands
10.100.116.17: End of run not found

... which after trying to run hrancid I get the same error and it doesn't write the correct debug file 'z'.  Looking at the .new file I see it didn't process any of the commands. ...

rancid at truck:~/bin$ hrancid -t z -d 10.100.116.17
executing hlogin -t 90 -c"show version;show flash;show system-information;show system information;show module;show stack;show tech transceivers;show config files;show config status;write term" 10.100.116.17

rancid at truck:~/bin$ ls z
ls: cannot access 'z': No such file or directory

rancid at truck:~/bin$ ls *.new
10.100.116.17.new

rancid at truck:~/bin$ cat 10.100.116.17.new
;RANCID-CONTENT-TYPE: hp
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;

... When I run hlogin with the -c option I get the same error.  However when I remove the -c option to confirm if I can login at all, I can, with an artifact of (^[[53;211R) at the prompt.  Logging in via SSH doesn't provide this artifact. ...

rancid at SERVER:~/bin$ ./hlogin -f /PATH/rancid-3.5.1/.cloginrc -c 'show ip' x.y.116.17
x.y.116.17
spawn hpuifilter -- ssh -x -l USER x.y.116.17
We'd like to keep you up to date about:
  * Software feature updates
  * New product announcements
  * Special events
Please register your products now at:  www.hpe.com/networking/register

USER at x.y.116.17's password:
Aruba JL261A 2930F-24G-PoE+-4SFP Switch
Software revision WC.16.02.0016

 (C) Copyright 2017 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Development LP

                      RESTRICTED RIGHTS LEGEND
 Confidential computer software. Valid license from Hewlett Packard Enterprise
 Development LP required for possession, use or copying. Consistent with FAR
 12.211 and 12.212, Commercial Computer Software, Computer Software
 Documentation, and Technical Data for Commercial Items are licensed to the
 U.S. Government under vendor's standard commercial license.

Press any key to continueYour previous successful login (as x) was on 2017-05-16 16:28:23
 from 10.100.1.219
hostname# couldn't compile regular expression pattern: parentheses () not balanced
    while executing
"expect {
-re "\[\n\r]+" { exp_continue }
-re $reprompt {}
    }"
    (procedure "run_commands" line 12)
    invoked from within
"run_commands $prompt $command"
    ("foreach" body line 159)
    invoked from within
"foreach router [lrange $argv $i end] {
    set router [string tolower $router]
    send_user "$router\n"

    # device timeout
    set timeout [find t..."
    (file "./hlogin" line 657)

rancid at SERVER:~/bin$ ./hlogin -f /PATH/rancid-3.5.1/.cloginrc  x.y.116.17
x.y.116.17
spawn ssh -x -l USER x.y.116.17
We'd like to keep you up to date about:
  * Software feature updates
  * New product announcements
  * Special events
Please register your products now at:  www.hpe.com/networking/register

USER at x.y.116.17's password:
Aruba JL261A 2930F-24G-PoE+-4SFP Switch
Software revision WC.16.02.0016

 (C) Copyright 2017 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Development LP

                      RESTRICTED RIGHTS LEGEND
 Confidential computer software. Valid license from Hewlett Packard Enterprise
 Development LP required for possession, use or copying. Consistent with FAR
 12.211 and 12.212, Commercial Computer Software, Computer Software
 Documentation, and Technical Data for Commercial Items are licensed to the
 U.S. Government under vendor's standard commercial license.

Press any key to continue
 from x.y.1.219

HOSTNAME# ^[[53;211R
HOSTNAME#

... Curiously the problem is not widespread.  ~1% of my environment and after talking with a college (who's running the latest version of rancid - he reported the problem to me) it appears to be switch version dependant as only some specific versions of code.  He confirmed by upgrading and downgrading code on an HP5412Rzl2 in his environment.  I was able to locate 2 more versions of code that had the same error.

Aruba JL261A 2930F-24G-PoE+-4SFP Switch
Software revision WC.16.02.0016

HP J9851A Switch 5412Rzl2
Software revision KB.16.01.0012

Switch Version                                 RANCID able to poll
16.03.0004                                           no
16.03.0003                                           yes
16.02.0018                                           no
16.02.0016                                           no
16.02.0015                                           yes
16.02.0013                                           yes

Has anyone encountered this before or know how to remove the artifact?  Thank you in advance,

Robert

Robert Remsik

ACNS

Desk Phone: 970 491 7120