[rancid] Collaborative development for rancid (e.g. git / github)

heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Mon Nov 6 21:57:57 UTC 2017

Thu, May 11, 2017 at 05:52:46PM +0000, heasley:
> Tue, May 02, 2017 at 05:52:42PM +0100, Alex DEKKER:
> > On 06/02/15 15:41, Buchan Milne wrote:
> > > Wouldn't it make sense to have a public repo for rancid, preferably git,
> > > and if there is no other infrastructure planned, github is probably the
> > > easiest.
> >
> > Did this ever get anywhere? I want to work on adding a new device type
> > and would like to start with the latest source.
> >
> > alexd
>
> We have decided, today, that we will make available an interface to the
> repo.  I first need to separate some proprietary info from the repo that
> can not be made public.
>
> We need to decided which method is easiest for us; it will either be an
> interface to the svn repo, to which git has a builtin "bridge" as git
> calls it in the docs, or i'll push to github on a regular basis.

I tried doing this by checkout with git svn from the canonical repo and
pushing to github, but this had some unpleasant side-effects that did
not seem easily resolved (and I dont have time to screw with this
endlessly) and ultimitely I expect would just create grief if we switched
to git later.  I could push the trunk only to github (no tags, no branches),
if enough folk are interested.

The svn dav is available here:
dev head: http://rancid.shrubbery.net/rancid/svn/rancid/trunk/rancid
release tags: http://rancid.shrubbery.net/rancid/svn/rancid/tags

If you must have your git, you can use git svn against the svn dav;
eg: git svn clone http://rancid.shrubbery.net/rancid/svn/rancid
If we migrate the repo to git in the future, we'll push to github.