[rancid] RANCID Router Login

Munoz-Persinger, Axel @ CSG - CSE Axel.Munoz-Persinger at L3T.com
Mon Oct 16 11:58:00 UTC 2017

Thanks everyone for the help; we ended up just changing the address on this as suggested and it works flawlessly.

Thanks,
Axel

-----Original Message-----
From: Lee [mailto:ler762 at gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, October 14, 2017 4:58 PM
To: rancid-discuss at shrubbery.net
Cc: Munoz-Persinger, Axel @ CSG - CSE <Axel.Munoz-Persinger at L3T.com>; Zaveri, Sundeep @ CSG - CSE <Sundeep.Zaveri at L3T.com>; Dowd, Daniel @ CSG - CSE <daniel.dowd at L3T.com>; Auer, Kyle @ CSG - CSE <Kyle.Auer at L3T.com>
Subject: Re: [rancid] RANCID Router Login

On 10/12/17, heasley <heas at shrubbery.net> wrote:
> Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 07:47:10PM +0000, Munoz-Persinger, Axel @ CSG - CSE:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Our organization uses RANCID for gathering data from our Cisco
>> routers, but we recently faced an issue with a change we're trying to make.
>>
>> We simply want to change what the address that the scripts use to log
>> into the routers. Let's say in the routers.db file we have:
>> Router1:cisco:up
>> Router2:cisco:up
>> Router3:cisco:up
>>
>> We'd like to change it to:
>> Router1.XYZ:cisco:up
>> Router2.XYZ:cisco:up
>> Router3.XYZ:cisco:up
>>

>> We didn't want to change the actual router names in the routers.db
>> file, since this would most likely have other side effects like
>> modifying the CVS. We tried changing clogin:750(ish) from if {[login
>> $router $ruser $userpswd $passwd $enapasswd $cmethod $cyphertype]} {

>> if {[login $router.XYZ $ruser $userpswd $passwd $enapasswd $cmethod
>> $cyphertype]} {
>>
>> However, by watching the tcpdump output, we see that it's still
>> reaching out to the original address.
>>
>> Do you have any ideas that could help us?
>
> leave the old name and change the address it resolved to in dns/hostsfile.

+1 for changing the address in dns

if you don't like/can't do that option, add
  search XYZ.l3t.com
in resolv.conf so that the first dns lookup for foo is foo.xyz.l3t.com

see  http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man5/resolv.conf.5.html
              The search list is normally determined from the local domain
              name; by default, it contains only the local domain name.
              This may be changed by listing the desired domain search path
              following the search keyword with spaces or tabs separating
              the names.

Regards,
Lee
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email and any attachments are for the sole use of the intended recipient and may contain material that is proprietary, confidential, privileged or otherwise legally protected or restricted under applicable government laws. Any review, disclosure, distributing or other use without expressed permission of the sender is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and delete all copies without reading, printing, or saving.

Effective immediately my new email address is Axel.Munoz-Persinger at L3T.com. Please update your records.