[rancid] Rancid and Git

heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Mon Oct 30 18:36:12 UTC 2017

Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 04:52:58PM +0000, Gauthier, Chris:
> Hi Will,
>
> I had an installation for rancid with Git integration going.  There is now native support for Git, though the documentation is a little sparse when compared to other methods.
>
> You need Git installed locally on the same machine as rancid.  Rancid will create the repos for you.  Make sure the config file knows to be using Git, not subversion or CVS.  Note that the repos are local only, one repo per group.  Also, if you want it to go to a remote repo, just set up the appropriate Git options in the local repo to do blind commits to the remote repo.  It works nicely once set up.

once rancid is configured for cvs/svn/git, git should just work, in the
same manner and (sort of) way that it did for cvs.  git has some behavior
that is simply unlike cvs or svn, which is why i say sort of.  but, from
a rancid perspective, follow the cvs/svn instructions.

to handle a remote, let rancid have its local repo as normal, and then use a
separate cron to push to your remote OR add a "pushurl" to the git config of
each rancid group so that rancid will push to *both* repos when it commits.
Note that the remote better be read-only to others, as rancid will not
tolerate changes on the remote...therefore i recommend the former method.