[rancid] Couple of very general questions.

Chris Davis Chris.Davis at principia.edu
Thu May 17 19:28:28 UTC 2018

We are looking at jumping off our current switch platform for a number of annoying reasons and are considering a couple of options for replacement.  I use Rancid pretty heavily and I wondered if I could get some feedback on how Rancid works with those vendors (it seems there's support, but the devil is in the details) from people using the equipment.

We're looking at Fortinet switches, as we use their firewalls.  I have Rancid well integrated with the firewalls and as I understand it, the switches are downloaded from the firewalls when in linked mode.  Do the switch configs get uploaded to rancid as part of the firewall's configuration backup?  Or do you have to somehow interrogate each switch separately like we do for our current switches?

The other option we're looking at is Extreme.  I see that it is managed by the standard clogin (according to the Rancid docs) and just wondered if there was anything to be aware of with interfacing to their gear.

Thanks.  Just wanted to get a more accurate understanding of the level of support for these two device families.  Detailed responses are welcome to use email.
Chris