[rancid] Ubiquiti edgeswitch (edgemax) script?

heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Tue Nov 6 18:43:23 UTC 2018

Tue, Nov 06, 2018 at 06:13:18PM +0000, Kevin Geil:
> Hi, I'm trying to get RANCID to poll my ubiquiti edge switches, and am a bit perplexed.  From what I've found online in other mailing lists, it is possible to use RANCID to poll these, using the edgemax script. So far, I've set up the router.db with <device-type> edgemax.  When I invoke rancid-run, nothing much happens, and when I look in the log, I see:
> =====================================
> Getting missed routers: round 2.
> myEdgeSwitch: End of run not found
> !
> =====================================
>
> So far, I have tried adding my own device type by copying the "EdgeMax" device config in rancid.types.base to rancid.types.conf, and calling it EdgeSwitch (which is the right thing to do right? Despite the dire warnings at the top of each file, it's not entirely clear how to do this, as they both warn against editing the file).  I tried to use ulogin instead of clogin, with the same result.
> I can successfully  authenticate to the switches by using both clogin and ulogin.

unless you are changing the device spec somehow, there is no need to copy
it.  just use the edgemax spec.  otherwise, yes, copy the spec to the .conf
file with a different name.

> What is now really confusing is that I don't know what script RANCID should be running.  In rancid.types.base, the edgemax config looks like this:
>
> ## UBNT EdgeMAX
> edgemax;script;rancid -t edgemax
> edgemax;login;clogin
> edgemax;module;edgemax
> ...more commands...

the script is rancid, which imports the named modules, edgemax{.pm} in
this case.  also see rancid.types.conf(5)

> What confuses me is that there isn't a script in the bin directory called edgemax, so I'm not sure what script it should be running.  There IS a file in lib/rancid called edgemax.pm, but that doesn't get referenced by the config in rancid.types.base.
>
> If someone could help clarify
>
> 1. What "end of run not found" means to me, and

it means that it did not find the end of the config or possibly no config.
S3 Q2 of the FAQ has a good test outline.