[rancid] IOS topic: How to create a read-only user?

Dan Mahoney (Gushi) danm at prime.gushi.org
Wed Nov 21 21:14:28 UTC 2018

Hey there,

I log in to my cisco devices with SSH keys, but I don't think that matters
for the purposes of this.

I'd like to create a "rancid" user for my (cisco, primarily IOS classic)
devices which has full privileges to do things like "show run", but that
has no ability to change the configs.

I know this is possible to do as part of Tacplus, but as I only have three
or four devices, spinning up tacplus seems more complicated than need be.
(This is why I mentioned ssh, just in case -- all my users have local
privilege levels in the config).

I'm sure this has been asked before, but my google-fu is failing me here.

Bonus points if you know this for things like IOS-XR/XE or Junos.