[rancid] F5 'bigip' SNMP password hash changes every run

heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Fri Nov 30 18:20:46 UTC 2018

Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 04:05:52PM +0000, Gauthier, Chris:
> Hello,
>
> We are using rancid 3.7 here and it successfully is backing up our F5’s.  However, since I added SNMPv3 onto a new pair of F5’s, the password hash changes every time rancid runs.  I don’t mind this, since the purpose is to maintain a backup that I can straight-out deploy to the device, except that I don’t want the email telling me that password changed every time (which is hourly for us).
>
> Is there a way to filter out this from the email but not from what is actually committed into the repo?

well, some options:
- alter rancid/share/rtrfilter to instead filter by line regex;
  also see rancid.conf(5):DIFFSCRIPT
- have two collections; one which filters passwords/etc, another which
  does not, but which also has no diff-mail recipients.  also see
  rancid.conf(5):FILES section