[rancid] Switch HPE 5700

Jethro R Binks jethro.binks at strath.ac.uk
Wed Aug 7 07:48:58 UTC 2019

Some brief comments:

1. cmwrancid for rancid3 will work with Comware 7 (and 5 and 3).  h3c one
was for rancid2, supporting Comware 5 and 3;

2. The version on that site is old, I run a newer one locally, but I think
it required some other tweaks to rancid that were a bit of a fudge and I
never got around to discussing with John or doing it better (whatever it
was).  Or something.  It's all a bit hazy.  But my local one does work for
me;

3. Subsequently I think John created his own basic module for the comware
platform, I didn't have opportunity look at it;

4. Probably anything I learned should feed into John's official module (I
can't remember what it was called), but there was quite a lot of hacking
to workaround issues with the older platforms so it may have to be only
stated as useable for more recent comware 5 and 7;

5. I get very little development time these days so my attention is a long
away from rancid ... sorry.

Jethro.

On Thu, 1 Aug 2019, Ugo Bellavance wrote:

> Sorry, I just realized that there is a page for Rancid 3.x.
>
> https://sites.google.com/site/jrbinks/code/rancid/cmwrancid
>
> On Thu, Aug 1, 2019 at 11:19 AM Ugo Bellavance <ugob at lubik.ca> wrote:
>

> > On Thu, Aug 1, 2019 at 10:51 AM FESSARD, Remi <
> > Remi.FESSARD at knorr-bremse.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>

> >> We bought a switch HPE 5700-32XGT-8XG-2QSFP2 and display commands on it
> >> are:
> >>

> >>    - display version
> >>    - display startup
> >>    - display device
> >>    - display device manuinfo
> >>    - display transceiver manuinfo interface
> >>    - display debugging
> >>    - display current-configuration
> >>

> >> Do you, please, give the device type that I have to define in Rancid to
> >> save it ?
> >>

> >> Bonjour R?mi,
> >
> > We're using HPE A5800 switches and they use similar syntax (Comware).  I
> > don't know exactly what to use in your case but back in the time where we
> > configured them with rancid, there was a device type called "h3c".
> >
> > You may have a look here:
> >
> > https://sites.google.com/site/jrbinks/code/rancid/h3c
> >
> > When I received the switches, the author of this page (Jethro Binks)
> > kindly worked (a lot) to adapt his scripts so that it works with the HP
> > A5800 (although he didn't have one to test). It's still working as of now.
> > Ours is Comware 5-based, but the A5900 is in the list of tested models and
> > is apparently Comware 7 based. I don't know why it hasn't been merged into
> > rancid.
> >
> > I think, though, that these switches have a compatibility mode that would
> > let you use the hp device type (procurve syntax).
> >
> > Regards,
> > --
> > Ugo Bellavance (ugob at lubik.ca)
> >

> --
> Ugo Bellavance (ugob at lubik.ca)

Jethro R Binks, Network Manager,
Information Services Directorate, University Of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK

The University of Strathclyde is a charitable body, registered in
Scotland, number SC015263.