[rancid] Rancid and the Cisco 5000 Nexus Platform

john heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Tue Jul 23 17:42:20 UTC 2019

Tue, Jul 23, 2019 at 01:29:01AM -0700, Florin Vlad Olariu:
> I am running version 3.9 [2] and the logs looks like in [1]. I tried
> un-commenting the line that states
> "#cisco-nx;command;rancid::RunCommand;term no monitor-force" but it doesn't
> work anyway.

keep that; it prevents logs/etc from mangling prompts and commands that
rancid wants to match.

> Reading about your comment on "show version" made me try and un-comment
> that line... (and only that line) and after that it worked!. But why do I
> need to have show version in there at all for this to properly work?
>
> An alternative solution I had was to put variables "$clean_run" and
> "$found_end" to 1 in the /usr/local/rancid/bin/rancid file, but of course
> this is not ideal as it applies to all types of routers.
>
> Any idea how can I gather config _without_ needing "show version" also?

As I mentioned, the model sometimes affects the handling of the config.
I do not remember off the top why this is so in nxos.  i'll try to look
later.  its not that much extra data and it should all be commented.