[rancid] Cisco 3650 IOS-XE active VLAN port state changes

john heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Mon Nov 25 16:58:00 UTC 2019

Sat, Nov 23, 2019 at 09:50:06PM +0000, Piegorsch, Weylin William:
> You can also develop a custom type that doesn't call "show vlan".

please do this, rather than change ios.pm.  This makes it easier for you
to upgrade rancid, both of which i prefer because it is easier to support
you.

> Also, I've had this occur twice in the past.
> - One time was happening campus-wide. I dug into it hard, and after a good amount of effort found out there was something actually happening based on a misunderstanding I had about native VLANs work in IOS.  In other words: (a) I learned something, and (b) I found I had an actual misconfiguration.
> - The other time it turned out that there was a hardware fault on the ASIC (we're actually still using that particular Catalyst 3508).

I would like to understand why this occurs for some folks and change
the code to automatically ignore show vlan output when the switch is
configured in a manner that would lead to it.  I know that VTP does
this and sometimes 802.1x and the current code tries to recognize
both of these.  tia for any help here.