[rancid] Palo Alto (Panorama) configuration

Abagiu Andreia-Elena Andreia-Elena.Abagiu at apa.at
Thu Aug 13 11:26:35 UTC 2020

Hello All,

First of all I would like to thank the authors and contributors of this tool. Your work is greatly appreciated. I am very new to this, so please forgive the intrusion, my lack of knowledge and the possible high-jacking of this thread .

We are running Panorama in a shared environment, managing Palo Alto Firewalls of different customers with the same Panorama (one central point). As a test, I have installed the newest Rancid release and it's working very well out of the box, but I would like to change the commands, which are being sent to Panorama.

Instead of show system info, show chassis inventory and show config, I would be more interested in extracting the running configuration for a single customer (not for the whole Panorama - all the Firewalls - as per default). My commands look something like this:

show config running xpath devices/entry[@name='localhost.localdomain']/template-stack/entry[@name='xxx-stackname']

show config running xpath devices/entry[@name='localhost.localdomain']/template/entry[@name='xxx-temapltename']

show config running xpath devices/entry[@name='localhost.localdomain']/device-group/entry[@name='xxx-devicegroupname']

./panlogin -c "show config running xpath devices/entry[@name='localhost.localdomain']/template-stack/entry[@name='xxx]" router xxxx delivers good results. The problem is to integrate the commands.

How to adapt the different parts of Rancid for this to work? Which files/where and what to modify? I have not done much programming in my career, but I have a very basic understanding and some logic.

Thank you very much and have a great day!

Best regards,

Andreia-Elena Abagiu

Tel. +43 1 36060-6418
Fax. +43 1 36060-92 6418