[rancid] The new "alias" option in rancid.types.base does not seem to be working

john heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Tue Feb 18 20:58:33 UTC 2020

Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 07:15:07PM +0100, Bjørn Skobba:
> On 18 Feb 2020, at 15:07, Vlad Olariu <florinvlad.olariu at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I recently upgrade to v3.10 and it seems force10 is an alias now. The problem is that my old force10 devices (since before the upgrade) now no longer work, with rancid throwing a "device type not recognised" error in the logs. I don't think this is force10-exclusive.

As Bjørn mentioned, the alias just points to another type, like a DNS
CNAME.  See the description in rancid.types.conf(5).

I am not aware of a bug handling aliases.  I know that there was a
bug handling -C, which is fixed in 3.11.

Are you using rancid-run or rancid directly?  Perhaps you can show me
the full log file?