[rancid] FS switches

Bjørn Skobba bjorn at basis-consulting.com
Thu Aug 12 14:14:21 UTC 2021

On Wed, Aug 11, 2021 at 5:03 PM heasley <heas at shrubbery.net> wrote:

> Wed, Aug 11, 2021 at 01:48:06PM +0200, Bjørn Skobba:

> > dnos9bc;command;dnos9::DirSlotN;dir
>        ^^ typo?  that will not be included in the collect, obviously.

Thanks for pointing that out. Indeed a typo.

> Does their O/S have a name?

I am not sure to be honest, it seems to be called fsos in some cases,
but there might also be variations between the different switch models
as pointed out by Adam in this thread. We only have the S3900 series,
so I cannot verify it.

However, our Layer2 dude pointed out the os also was a bit cisco-ish,
so I tried the cisco device type (ios module) and that worked fine as
well . To make it more tailored to these switches I fiddled a bit with
stuff I'm not really able to do (I'm not a (perl) programmer...):
The ios module didn't have a ShowChassis routine, so I copied the ios
module to a new one and added the ShowChassis routine from the dnos9
module and added this to rancid.types.conf:

fscom;script;rancid -t fscom
fscom;login;clogin
fscom;module;fscom
fscom;inloop;fscom::inloop
fscom;command;fscom::ShowChassis;show system
fscom;command;fscom::ShowVersion;show version
fscom;command;fscom::ShowBoot;show boot
fscom;command;fscom::DirSlotN;dir
fscom;command;fscom::ShowDot1x;show dot1x
fscom;command;fscom::ShowVLAN;show vlan all
fscom;command;fscom::ShowDebug;show debug
fscom;command;fscom::WriteTerm;show running-config

So just another way to achieve more or less the same.

/bjørn