[rancid] Restore config on cisco devices

heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Tue Sep 28 16:42:34 UTC 2021

Tue, Sep 28, 2021 at 06:58:33AM +0000, simon ben:
> Dear All,
> I have rancid running and also installed viewvc and all working great and backing up switches and routersNow I just had one query about restoring the backed up config
> if there is a router or switch failure and is replaced with a new same model router or switch can I follow the below steps for restore
> 1)  connect the switch to console2) login to new switch3) copy and paste the config from the rancid backup
> write the config and reboot
> Is that OK or is there any other way to restore ,

Yes, in general this works.  If you have configured rancid to filter
passwords or other configuration contents, then those must be restored
separately.  And, there are a few devices that simply have bugs (imo)
that do not permit the configuration they display to be loaded in their
entirety; ISTR procurve being one.

Another way to restore the config, instead of cut/paste, is to apply
the minimal config to the device for network connectivity, then use
http/rcp/ftp/tftp to load the config.  Not all devices support this.