[rancid] Password not accepted after restore from Rancid backup

simon ben guy20034u at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 3 04:00:52 UTC 2022

Dear heasley,
Really appreciate your replyi set the rancid conf file variables to NO and tested on cisco.it worked greatOnce again thank you so much for the wise reply and GOD Bless

Regards
Simon

    On Monday, January 31, 2022, 09:02:25 PM GMT+3, heasley <heas at shrubbery.net> wrote:

 Mon, Jan 31, 2022 at 08:10:25AM +0000, simon ben:
> so i realized that after i had restored the backup i had to create user and assigned a password for him
> So just wanted to know if this the right practice i need to go about or do i need to follow another way

There are 2 ways to handle passwords, and two caveats.

1) replace "<removed>" configuration with proper values before loading or
manually configure them after loading,
2) set rancid.conf variables FILTER_PWDS and NOCOMMSTR to "NO".

Caveat 1) some devices re-produce the password crypt shown in the config
each time, which may always be filtered by rancid or affected by rancid.conf
variable FILTER_OSC, because it becomes annoying to have diffs each time
rancid runs as a result.

Caveat 2) some devices have trouble loading exported configs, such as one
of the HP models.  Cisco, juniper, nokia are known to work, but I can not
test every one.  Please test your DR processes.