[rancid] Password not accepted after restore from Rancid backup

heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Mon Jan 31 18:02:24 UTC 2022

Mon, Jan 31, 2022 at 08:10:25AM +0000, simon ben:
> so i realized that after i had restored the backup i had to create user and assigned a password for him
> So just wanted to know if this the right practice i need to go about or do i need to follow another way

There are 2 ways to handle passwords, and two caveats.

1) replace "<removed>" configuration with proper values before loading or
manually configure them after loading,
2) set rancid.conf variables FILTER_PWDS and NOCOMMSTR to "NO".

Caveat 1) some devices re-produce the password crypt shown in the config
each time, which may always be filtered by rancid or affected by rancid.conf
variable FILTER_OSC, because it becomes annoying to have diffs each time
rancid runs as a result.

Caveat 2) some devices have trouble loading exported configs, such as one
of the HP models.  Cisco, juniper, nokia are known to work, but I can not
test every one.  Please test your DR processes.